I'm at home now, in Pensacola, and its weird trying to grasp the fact that I am not just home for the summer.  Usually its not so bad leaving Starkville, cause I know that I'll be back, but this time, no.  I have my degree. That's it.  I wont be headed to Mississippi in the fall, I won't be able to call up friends randomly to go hit golf balls or play basketball, it will be an ordeal to get to football and basketball games.  It hasn't really sunk in yet, that I just drove home from school for the last time.


At graduation today James Bagley spoke.  He's the guy who donated $25 million to the engineering dept. a couple years ago and now its named after him.  Anyways, his speech was good, he didnt make it thirty seconds before dissing all non-engineering majors.  He starts by saying, "When Dr. Lee asked me if I would speak, I told him no at first because I didn't know what I'd say to a group of engineers. <Long Pause> And the other . . . graduates." It was hilarious, and even more so because he totally didn't mean to do it. I also found out he has a granddaughter at State, I totally missed the boat on that one.  Surely she's the love of my life, how could I have not known that she existed until today?


He talked about how even though we've come very far, we still have a long way to go, a lot to learn.  He talked about how things would be different and yet the same from here on out.  It will be the same because of change, because we've known change our entire lives and that will continue.  But it will be different because before we were the recipients of change that we had no control over. Now we will be the catalysts, the instigators that make things change.


My biggest fear about leaving State is that I will forget.  Forget the great friends I have.  Forget the many experiences that have shaped my life and character as it is today. Forget the place that has been my home for the best years of my life.  After all, I'm moving rather far away and won't get to come back often.  But still I have to move on, it is time, and when I get past the emotion of leaving I realize that some things, the people and the experiences that matter, I will never forget. And of that I have no doubt.

Comments

  1. wow there is an empty spot in the kitchen where the toaster used to be..i'm thinking about turning that into a song..and this would be a love song to you and to the toaster..not really sure of all the words..but i'm sure i would add in there how you took the toaster yet left your toothpaste..yeah this song would rock..and you really did leave the toothpaste love yah my lil cinnamon teddy gram...haha remember that..wow long time ago

    ReplyDelete
  2. i know for a fact you will NEVER forget my fatt butt. i love you jonathon. i miss you too. it was very nice to talk to you on the phone. call me sometime. BYEEEE
    - fatty

    ReplyDelete
  3. DONT FORGET ME! i didnt even know you had xanga. i also had no clue you were gone for good, it was awesome getting to know you and hang out with you, hopefully we can keep in touch a little bit on here

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog